WICKED ROGAINES SPRING VIRTUAL SERIES
OCTOBER & NOVEMBER 2020
There are now two ways to do the our series!
A NEW COURSE EVERY WEEK
Each week, on Wednesday evening, we will release a new course. It will then be available for the Virtual Series from Thursday afternoon. Course will be open for a week and participants can choose when they want to do it. People will be able to download a printable version of the map.
WEDNESDAY WICKED ROGAINES
Now that we are at level 1, we are excited to bring back our popular Spring Series.
Celebrating Spring, these events will be held mostly off road, exploring the tracks around the Port Hills.
These fun rogaines are suitable for gurus to newbies. Anybody that has a moderate level of fitness can participate. A high level of navigation ability is not required.
Rogaining involves teams of two to five members visit as many checkpoints as possible in the time allowed. Shorter duration rogaines often allow solo competitors.
SOCIALISE WITH OTHERS
Have the opportunity to catch up with friends and other participants, discuss route options after the events and enjoy the challenge of running alongside other participants.
Due to the popular demand we’ve decided to keep offering the Virtual option for those that can’t attend the Wednesday events, but still want to have a navigation challenge.
These VIRTUAL EVENTS will still give you the navigation challenge, but it will still keep you safe and others, as there’s no physical contact involved, you can still stay in your bubble and social contact with others is avoided. Participants can do the course as a team or individuals. Virtual event, because there’s no physical controls out and people don’t have to compete at the same time.
NO PHYSICAL CONTACT
There won’t be any registration and there are no physical controls to touch. Teams or individuals will be able to do the course on their own time, using the MapRunF phone app, which means that there’s no need for participants to touch any other device.
WHICH ONE SUITS YOU?
- Our popular evening events
- Physical WR electronic controls
- Start between 6pm – 7pm
- WR official score
- Points valid for the Wicked League
- Compete along side other people
- Be in the draw to win major spot prizes
- Socialise before/ after event with fellow rogainers
- Safety staff, Pedro will be there to say “woof”;-)
$ 20 STUDENT/ $50 FOR WHOLE SERIES
$20 KIDS EVENT/ $50 FOR WHOLE SERIES
- Do it any time, any day during the week of the event
- No physical controls
- Points NOT valid for the Wicked League
- Unofficial results
- Track history viewable on the app
- Be in the draw to win spot prizes
$ 15 STUDENT/ $35 FOR WHOLE SERIES
$20 KIDS EVENT/ $50 FOR WHOLE SERIES
- Start the App
- Enter your Name – to be used with your results
- Tap Select Event and browse to the event you are looking for
- Alternatively, tap Events Near Me to display a list of events near your current location
- Tap Go to Start to see the map and course. If the organiser has locked the event, you may need to enter the 4-digit PIN that has been set
- Now tap Start GPS. It may take your GPS a moment or two to locate enough satellites, in which case you’ll get a ‘Waiting for GPS signal’ message.
- Once the GPS is live, you need to run or walk through the Start to trigger the course timer.
- In most cases the Finish is in the same place, but MapRun should not punch the Finish if you have not visited a least one checkpoint.
- Remember that you need to pass through the Finish to stop the timer.
- At the finish, MapRun will automatically upload your results, or you can do it yourself. You can also send your results to Strava.
- Finally, you can compare your results with others on the same course, and view the route you took.
How does it work?
- When a runner runs with the MapRun App, with an Event selected:The App tracks their location (without displaying it)
- It continually compares their location with the Latitude and Longitude of control locations contained in the Course File for the event
- If the distance to a control is less that 10 metres, the App records a punch on that control
- Events are started and finished by visiting the Start and Finish punches
- At the end of the event, the “rules” for the event type are applied to determine a result:This includes checking for the correct sequence of controls for a line course, and
- Calculating a score for score courses
- The runner’s result file and track are automatically uploaded to the MapRun server at the end of the run
- The runner’s result is merged with other results for this event and displayed on the phone and on the website.
- Runners can alternatively run just with a GPS watch and upload their track for a result to be determined.
Use of MapRun and MyOMaps is under the following terms and conditions. When the App is first installed, the user is asked to accept these:
For more information, please go to the website: MapRunF
2-HR, 1-HR & FAMILY EVENTS
IT’S LIKE TREASURE HUNTING. A FUN WAY TO EXERCISE YOUR BODY AND AND YOUR BRAIN.
These fun 2-hour rogaines are suitable for gurus to newbies. Anybody that has a moderate level of fitness can participate. A high level of navigation ability is not required.
Rogaining involves teams of two to five members visit as many checkpoints as possible in the time allowed. Shorter duration rogaines often allow solo competitors. Checkpoints are scored differently depending on the level of difficulty in reaching them; therefore teams choose a strategy (for example, to visit many low score checkpoints)and route selection becomes a vital component.
Teams travel entirely on foot, navigating by map and compass between checkpoints in terrain that varies from open farmland to hilly forest. Teams travel at their own pace and anyone from children to grandparents can experience the personal satisfaction that comes from cross-country navigation at their own level of competition and comfort. Team members stay within earshot of each other.
1-hour option available, if you prefer to do a shorter course. We also offer the Wicked Kids Fun Event for families. Come and have a go.
Wicked Kids Fun Event – specially created for the little ones!
Aiming to encourage the little kids (under 7yrs) to get outside and try rogaining, we also run the Wicked Kids Fun event. It’s an 1 hour event with easier controls around the start/finish area. Kids must be accompanied by an adult. Some of the benefits of Rogaining for Children
- Provides a safe, fun environment in which to have an adventure
- Provides physical and intellectual development
- Helps develop spatial awareness
- Children are allowed the freedom to roam out of sight in a controlled environment
- It’s ok for kids to get muddy and dirty
- Teaches children about the countryside
- Children learn to read maps and navigate
- It’s educational and fun!