EVENT 3 – VICTORIA PARK
WICKED ROGAINES VIRTUAL SERIES
COURSE 3 CLOSES IN…
We are all going through some changes in our lifestyle due to Covid-19 and we need to find different ways to do the things we love. Although we are not allowed to have a proper event at the moment, we still want to provide you with a navigation challenge and get out outside, exploring our beautiful hills.
For the first time we will be using a GPS app. This is new for both you and us. We hope you enjoy the experience and if there are any problems, please get in touch.
Please read the information below, as we believe it will help to give you the best experience.
EVENT 3 – VICTORIA PARK
LOCATION & SCHEDULE
- Each Wednesday, teams will receive an email with the details of the event, PIN code to unlock the course and the link to download map for printing.
- There will be 2 course options – 2hr and 1hr/Wicked Kids (controls are the same, the only change is the time allowed to complete it).
- Teams will loose 30 points for every late minute.
- Course opens at 4:00pm on Wednesday.
- Teams have between Wed, 4:00pm and the following Wed, 3:00pm to complete the course.
- Results will only be available on Thursday the following week.
Printed version of the map will be posted on Wednesday morning. According to NZ Post it can take up to 3 days to be delivered.
EVENTS PIN CODE
To select your course, go to “Select Event” > “New Zealand” > “Christchurch” > “Rogaining” > select desired course.
When you are ready to start and press “Go To Start” you will need to put the correct PIN code for your course.
IMPORTANT: Teams need to upload their result to the app server. go to “show results” > choose the event > tap icon on the top right corner > tap Upload (Manual). Your result will be uploaded to the server.
Event Name on MapRunF app:
Wicked Rogaines Virtual Series E3 Victoria Park PZ PXAS ScoreQ120
PIN # 9682
1hour & WICKED KIDS EVENTS
Event Name on MapRunF app:
Wicked Rogaines Virtual Series E3 Victoria Park PZ PXAS ScoreQ60
PIN # 9202
Course Start/ Finish
NOTE: The START/FINISH is located in the centre of the picnic shelters, N of the main car park.
If you are standing at the Start location, make sure you are ready to go when you put your PIN# in, as the app will detect that you are there and the clock will be activated.
You may need to walk around till the app is activated and the the clock starts.
Remember not to run through START/ FINISH location after you have started, otherwise it will end your run.
COLLECT A PRINTED MAP FROM BIVOUAC TOWER JUNCTION STORE!
***WICKED NEWS*** – Now you can collect a map of our Virtual Series events at Bivouac Outdoor store at Tower Junction for a gold coin donation.
Simply go to their store and ask one their amazing staff for a copy of the map. We just ask you to donate a gold coin in exchange and all money collected will be donated to the Backcountry Trust. https://www.backcountrytrust.org.nz/
DOWNLOAD FILES TO PRINT
Print files on A4 paper.
We tested the app and from our experience, the best combination is the app + printed map.
We noticed that sometimes the map overlay on the app doesn’t match 100% with Google Earth on the App and printed version. In the example below, the printed map correctly shows the real control location, however the app shows the centre of the control located slightly to the east.
For this reason we recommend people use a printed version of the map to navigate and use the app only for recording the control visit. Also the map on the phone is very small and you will have to keep moving it’s screen between map and description (it will slow you down, but some people don’t mind).
Once you approach the area where the control is, you should use the description to find the control. Note: MapRun has a tolerance radius of 10m when determining if a runner is at a control site.
The difference from our usual Wicked Rogaines is that there won’t be any physical control there, so you might need to move around the control feature till the control circle on the app turns green. Depending on the settings of the app on your phone, it will also vibrate and you should hear a sound.
CHECKLIST BEFORE YOU GO:
– Download the MapRunF app and course at home/ work, somewhere where you have reliable internet connection to avoid any problem.
– Have your phone fully charged.
– Remember to check that your phone allows GPS in the settings. Click here to check MapRun for further information.
– If the app fails to record the control, (due to poor coverage, fog and etc) and you are certain you found the feature, proceed to the next control. We are able to manually fix it, as the app also records your track.
– BE SAFE! Always let someone know you are going out and tell them your plans.
PLAY SAFE, STAY SAFE!
You have more freedom of movement at Alert Level 2, but it’s up to each one of us to keep the rest of New Zealand safe.
These are the most important things that you can remember and do:
- COVID-19 is still out there. Play it safe.
- Keep your distance from other people in public.
- If you’re sick, stay home. Don’t go to work or school. Don’t socialise.
- If you have symptoms of cold or flu call your doctor or Healthline and get advice about being tested.
- Wash your hands. Wash your hands. Wash your hands.
- Sneeze and cough into your elbow, regularly disinfect surfaces.
- If you have been told to self-isolate you must do so immediately.
- Keep a track of where you’ve been and who you’ve seen